Available from September 2021
The Level 2 Core in Construction and Building Services Engineering provides a broad introduction to construction and the built environment. It has been developed for individuals working in or intending to work, in these sectors.
Its primary purpose is to be taken part-time by learners who have secured a Construction or BSE Apprenticeship and not previously completed the Foundation in Construction and Building Services Engineering qualification. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study a range of other Level 2 or 3 Construction and Building Services Engineering (BSE) courses relevant to their trade interest area.
It is usually delivered over one year as a part-time programme of learning within an Apprenticeship framework; or for site operatives who want to widen their knowledge, understanding and skills in the sector more generally.
It is suitable for:
- learners aged 16+ currently working in or intending to work in the construction and built environment sector
- site operatives who want to widen their knowledge, understanding and skills in the sector more generally.
There are no formal English and maths entry requirements for these qualifications. But it is expected that learners will have a good basic understanding of English and maths. It is recommended learners develop further formal English and maths skills, such as Essential Skills or GCSE’s to support successful progression with this programme.
All learners will complete six mandatory core units which holistically cover:
- an introduction to the construction and built environment sectors,
- employment and employability skills; and
- health and safety.
In addition to the mandatory core units, learners will choose one trade area to spend additional time learning, which will include planning, performing and evaluating common tasks.
The qualification equips learners with a broad, cross-cutting understanding of the sector, enabling them to make informed decisions about their own development.
The qualification consists of 374 Guided Learning Hours. Learners can complete this qualification across one year prior to undertaking an apprenticeship, or part-time over one year alongside their apprenticeship. Learners must complete either the Foundation or Core qualification before they can complete their apprenticeship. All learners will complete the six mandatory ‘core’ units and one trade unit.
To achieve this qualification, learners must complete:
- one externally set, externally marked on-screen multiple-choice test
- one externally set, internally marked practical project covering one trade area
- one externally set, internally marked guided discussion
Core in Construction & Building Services Engineering (Level 2) – Assessment Pack (PDF)
Core in Construction & Building Services Engineering (Level 2) – Practical Project Pack Version A (PDF)
On completion, the qualification will provide a broad foundational knowledge across the construction and built environment sector as well as introductory knowledge and skills in the chosen trade area. The qualification provides the knowledge, understanding and skills for learners to progress onto further study, such as:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Progression in Construction
- EAL Level 2 Progression in Building Services Engineering
- City & Guilds Level 3 Construction in a chosen trade area
- EAL Level 2 Building Services Engineering in a chosen trade area
The qualification provides sufficient knowledge for learners to progress into an apprenticeship within the sector in their choice of trade.
- Core in Construction & Building Services Engineering (Level 2) – Qualification Handbook (Uploaded on 14/06/2022 at 01:43 pm)
- 8042: Interpreting Qualification Wales Construction ‘Test Reports’ / Dehongli ‘Adroddiadau Prawf’ Cymwysterau Cymru (Uploaded on 11/03/2022 at 01:11 pm)