Available from September 2021
The Foundation in Construction and Building Services Engineering provides a broad introduction to construction and the built environment. It has been developed for individuals working in or intending to work, in these sectors.
It is aimed at learners in work-based learning, further education and school 6th forms. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study a range of other Level 2 or 3 Construction and Building Services Engineering courses relevant to their trade interest area.
It is suitable for:
- learners aged 16+ currently working in or intending to work in the construction and built environment sector
- site operatives who want to widen their knowledge, understanding and skills in the sector more generally.
There are no formal English and maths entry requirements for these qualifications. But it is expected that learners will have a good basic understanding of English and maths. It is recommended learners develop further formal English and maths skills, such as Essential Skills or GCSE’s to support successful progression with this programme.
All learners will complete six mandatory ‘core’ units which holistically cover:
- an introduction to the construction and built environment sectors,
- employment and employability skills; and
- health and safety.
In addition to these ‘core’ units, learners will choose two trade units to spend additional time learning, which will include planning, performing and evaluating common tasks. The qualification equips learners with a broad, cross-cutting understanding of the sector, enabling them to make informed decisions about their own development. Trade units:
- Working with brick, block and stone
- Wood occupations
- Plastering and interior systems
- Decorative finishing and industrial occupations
- Roofing occupations
- Construction operations and civil engineering operations
- Plumbing, heating and ventilation
- Electrotechnical systems and equipment
- Plant operations
- Wall and Floor Tiling
The Foundation in Construction and Building Services Engineering (Level 2) qualification enables learners to begin to develop their:
- understanding of the buildings and structures that constitute the built environment and how they change, and have changed, over time
- understanding of the trades, roles and careers in the construction and built environment sector
- understanding of the life cycle of buildings and structures in the built environment and the associated principles and processes at each stage
- understanding of social, economic and environmental sustainability as appropriate to construction and the built environment
- knowledge of emerging technologies in the construction and built environment sector
- employability skills and their understanding of how these are relevant to, and important in, the workplace in the construction and built environment sector
- knowledge of and ability to apply the principles of working in ways which protect health, safety, well-being and the environment
- knowledge, skills and understanding required in planning, performing and evaluating common practical tasks in at least two trades within the construction and built environment sector.
The qualification consists of 540 Guided Learning Hours. Learners can complete this qualification across one full year before continuing to the Progression qualification, or onto an apprenticeship. All learners will complete the six mandatory ‘core’ units and two trade units.
Navigation Sample Test (demo of different question types)
To achieve this qualification, learners must complete:
- one externally set, externally marked on-screen multiple-choice test
- one externally set, internally marked practical project covering two trade areas
- one externally set, internally marked guided discussion
On completion, the qualification will provide a broad foundational knowledge across the construction and built environment industry as well as introductory knowledge and skills in two chosen trade units. The qualification provides the knowledge, understanding and skills to progress on to further study, such as:
- Progression in Construction Level 2 – City & Guilds
- Progression in Building Services Engineering Level 2 – EAL
- Construction Level 3 (trade area) – City & Guilds
- Building Services Engineering Level 3 (trade area) – EAL
The qualification provides sufficient knowledge for learners to progress into an apprenticeship within the sector in their choice of trade.
- Foundation in Construction and Building Services Engineering Qualification Handbook (Uploaded on 06/09/2023 at 02:29 pm)
- 8042: Interpreting Qualification Wales Construction ‘Test Reports’ / Dehongli ‘Adroddiadau Prawf’ Cymwysterau Cymru (Uploaded on 11/03/2022 at 01:11 pm)
- Centre Support Guidance – Supporting centres in the delivery and quality assurance of the Skills for Wales qualifications (Uploaded on 24/05/2023 at 07:34 am)