Available from September 2021
The Progression in Building Services Engineering qualification has been developed for individuals working in, or intending to work in, the building services engineering sector. It is aimed at learners who have achieved their Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment qualification, but do not yet have an employer to continue to an Apprenticeship. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study other building services engineering courses relevant to their choice of trade.
It is suitable for:
- learners aged 16+ currently working in or intending to work in the construction or built environment sector with a focus on building services engineering
- learners who have achieved their Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment qualification but do not yet have an employer to continue to an apprenticeship.
There are no formal English and maths entry requirements for these qualifications. But it is expected that learners will have a good basic understanding of English and maths. It is recommended learners develop further formal English and maths skills, such as Essential Skills or GCSE’s to support successful progression with this programme.
Learners choose a trade specialism from the units available in the building services engineering sector and develop their knowledge, skills and understanding for that trade, as contained in the National Occupational Standards. Learners will focus their time on one chosen trade unit.
- Electrotechnical systems and equipment installation
- Plumbing and heating.
Learners will also complete three ‘core’ units which cover:
- employability skills; and
- general construction practices.
The qualification is aimed at furthering learners’ skills prior to starting an apprenticeship.
The qualification is 540 Guided Learning Hours. Learners can complete this qualification on a full-time one-year basis or on a part-time basis.
To achieve this qualification, learners must successfully complete:
- one externally set, externally marked multiple-choice test
- one externally set, internally marked project covering their chosen trade area
- one externally set, internally marked oral discussion.
Booking the on-screen assessment can be done by accessing ‘eal.Surpass.com’ via the EAL hub. These are available in English and Welsh, guidance on the bilingual assessment options can be downloaded on EAL’s website: Bilingual Assessment Instructions
On completion, the qualification will provide learners with the knowledge to progress into:
- EAL Level 3 Building Services Engineering – Plumbing and Heating
- EAL Level 3 Building Services Engineering – Electrotechnical Installation
- employment in a building services engineering-related area.
- Progression in Building Services Engineering Qualification Manual (Uploaded on 29/09/2022 at 09:40 am)
- Centre Support Guidance – Supporting centres in the delivery and quality assurance of the Skills for Wales qualifications (Uploaded on 24/05/2023 at 07:34 am)