Available from September 2021
Qualifications and titles are in development and subject to change.
The Progression in Building Services Engineering qualification has been developed for individuals working in, or intending to work in, the building services engineering sector. It is aimed at learners who have achieved their Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment qualification, but do not yet have an employer to continue to an Apprenticeship. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study other building services engineering courses relevant to their choice of trade.
It is suitable for:
- learners aged 16+ currently working in or intending to work in the construction or built environment sector with a focus on building services engineering
- learners who have achieved their Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment qualification but do not yet have an employer to continue to an apprenticeship.
Entry requirements for this qualification include learners having achieved their Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment qualification, and are working towards Level 2 in Essential Skills English and Maths (or equivalent).
Learners choose a trade specialism from the units available in the building services engineering sector and develop their knowledge, skills and understanding for that trade, as contained in the National Occupational Standards.
Learners will focus their time on one chosen trade unit.
Note: As the consultation process and qualification design progresses the titling of the trade units are subject to change.
- Electrotechnical systems and equipment: installation
- Plumbing and heating.
Learners will also complete three ‘core’ units which cover:
- employability skills; and
- general construction practices.
The qualification is aimed at furthering learners’ skills prior to starting an apprenticeship.
The qualification is 540 Guided Learning Hours. Learners can complete this qualification on a full-time one-year basis or on a part-time basis.
To achieve this qualification, learners must successfully complete:
- one externally set, externally marked multiple-choice test
- one externally set, internally marked project covering their chosen trade area
- one externally set, internally marked oral discussion.
On completion, the qualification will provide learners with the knowledge to progress into:
- Building Services Engineering Level 3 Three-year (Plumbing and heating) – EAL
- Building Services Engineering Level 3 Four-year (Electrotechnical systems and equipment installation) – EAL
- employment in a building services engineering-related area.